

1. Opening

18:00-18:05

Kim: with the next hammer strike I open the GMA of Wednesday the 16th, 2022, of SIB-Utrecht at 18:04.

HAMMERSTRIKE

Kim: for the benefit of processing our minutes, we kindly ask if we can record this GMA. The recording will solely be used to finish the Minutes, and will be deleted after that. If anyone objects, please let us know now.

Moving on to the next agenda item: setting the agenda

HAMMERSTRIKE

2. Setting the agenda

18:05-18:10

Kim: the agenda is set as it was distributed beforehand and as is shown on the screen. Are there any requests for additions to the agenda?

Then the agenda is hereby set and we continue to the next item, the Minutes

HAMMERSTRIKE

3. The Minutes

18:10-18:15

Kim: We now discuss the minutes of the Policy GMA of October 20th 2021. This concerns only their content. Textual or stylistic remarks can be sent to Dana via email. Are there questions about the minutes from the Policy GMA?

Kim: Then the minutes of the Policy GMA of October 20th, 2021, are accepted and we move on to the next agenda item: Mail.

HAMMERSTRIKE

4. Mail

18:15-18:20

Kim: For this I want to give the floor to Dana

Dana: we have received 1 authorisation

- Xavier Schreurs authorizes David van Thiel

Kim: We have also received a motion, submitted by Fayrouz and Valentine. They have submitted a motion for a sustainability taskforce, which we as a board are interested to look further into. However, because this motion was submitted Monday the 14th, we did not have enough time to adequately prepare a discussion. I have been in contact with Fayrouz and Valentine, and have decided to move this motion to the Election GMA, in order to set up some guidelines and have ample time to set up a vacancy, and to give this motion the attention it deserves.

Kim: then moving onto the next agenda item: the announcements

HAMMERSTRIKE

5. Announcements

18:20-18:25

Kim: Welcome to the GMA! It is wonderful to see you all here, and before we really get going, I would like to make some clarifying notions:

- **language.** the language used during this GMA is English. If, however, you do not feel comfortable enough to pose your question in English, you may do so in Dutch. A Board member will then translate your question. Do note that we will answer in English, unless you specifically request a Dutch answer for your own comprehension. In that case a short summary will be given in English afterwards. We understand you may have some trouble finding your words, as we feel the same way, so really don't be afraid to make an error, I'm sure we'll get there together.
- Then: the **procedure.** In order to have this GMA go smoothly, I'll briefly talk you through the practical aspect of it. Aside from the Board, all members are automatically **muted**. If you want to say something, please use the function in Zoom to raise your hand. You can find this button when you click on *Participants*. If you click the 'Raise hand' button, you move up in the list of participants, so I can find you easily, and unmute you to let you talk.
- For the benefit of everyone's internet connection, we ask to only use your **video** when you are unmuted or talking.
- **voting.** Then, during this evening the GMA will be asked to vote. Voting works as follows: when the time comes, we will initiate a poll. This will appear on your screen in zoom, with the options Pro, Against, or Abstain. Make your choice, but only ONCE. The second time we put up the poll, this is meant only for people with authorisation of another member, which are the people Dana just read out.
- **chat.** Lastly, there is a chat in Zoom, which you are free to use for short things. However, do note that these messages will not be registered in our Minutes. This means you officially have not said anything - so if it is an important notion, someone needs to repeat your text verbally.

Kim: these were the logistical notions. Last GMA we promised we would come back with a final decision regarding the 4th introduction period, for which I will give the floor to Iris:

Iris: During the previous GMA we talked about not having a fourth introduction period, which raised some concerns about being a member from April onwards, but being inaugurated in September. This would then lead to a long period in which you are not a full member and thus can not participate in committees or the GMA. The Board looked at the Rules of Procedure and Statues to see if this was really a problem and if so, how we could solve it. It is stated in the Rules of Procedure that a person becomes a member of SIB when this person participates in the mandatory activities that SIB organises as an introduction for new members. When a person doesn't participate during the introduction activities, the person won't obtain membership, unless the Board decides differently. This means that a person can become a full member of SIB without an official inauguration, if the board decides to do so. Once someone is a member, the person is free to participate in all the activities of SIB and to become a committee member. So to conclude, there won't be a problem if we decide to skip the fourth introduction period. After April people can become a member of SIB without having an official introduction period or inauguration, which will then take place in September. In the meantime those members are free to join all the activities, committees and participate in the GMA.

Kim: That is all, are there any concrete questions about this?

Kim: Then we move on to agenda item 6, the installation and discharge in committees

HAMMERSTRIKE

6. Installation and discharge in committees

18:25-18:30

Kim: I will start with the discharge in committees

- As a member of the External Affairs Committee Jeljer Aldershof

HAMMERSTRIKE

Iris: Dear Jeljer, this is the end of an era. You've put a lot of time and effort in the EAC the last few years and I'm very happy that I was able to witness this since September. I think I can speak for the whole EAC when I say that I will miss your good ideas, sometimes funny jokes and critical thinking. Thank you so much for being with us in the EAC. I hope to see you back at SIB very soon, but I'm sure that I don't have to worry about that.

- As a member of the Promotion Committee Fayrouz Gomaa and Nina van de Voort .

HAMMERSTRIKE

Dana: Dear Fayrouz, thank you for your help in the promotion committee. You came in as a sort of emergency aid, but luckily stayed long enough to help new members get started in the committee. We will miss you, thanks a lot!

Dana: Dear Nina, if I counted correctly, you have met no fewer than 57 times with this committee. You have been committed for 4 years. And I want to thank you very much for that. Best wishes to you and I hope to work with you in many other areas.

- As a member of the CoCo Myrte Spaargaren

HAMMERSTRIKE

Els: Dear Myrte, thank you so much for your dedication as chair and treasurer of the Cooking Committee. You went above and beyond in a time of need, and we are very grateful. Best wishes to you, and we hope to see a lot of you this year.

- As members of the Fall Introduction Trip Committee Annika Boekenstijn, Jasper Buren and Robert Groenewege

Els: Dear Annika, Jasper and Robert, thank you so much for organising such a successful, fun, and worry free trip to Ghent last November. You were a wonderful committee to work with, and everyone enjoyed the trip immensely. Best wishes to all of you, and I hope to work with you again soon.

- As a member of the Acquisition Committee Léon Gerridzen and Emma Kisjes

HAMMERSTRIKE

Marjolijn: Dear Léon, wow, it truly hurts to say that you have now officially left the Acquisition Committee. I think I can speak for the entire AC when I say that we are going to miss your great input, calm demeanor, subtle humor and awesome minutes during meetings, but we know you will do great in any committee (I hope they're all fighting over you). I don't have to say that I hope to see you somewhere at an activity, because such a dedicated SIB member is hard to miss!

Marjolijn: Dear Emma, even though you unfortunately had to leave us a while ago, I still find it so sad that you have now left the Acquisition Committee officially. We joined the AC at the same time and, even though we had been in a committee together before, your fun personality kept surprising me! You have been a great help, and we all wish you the best!

Kim: Then we move onto the installations.

- As a member of the UIT Committee, Britte Brontsema, Lena van Duifhuizen, Cristel Brandt, Sander Brouwers, Nina van de Voort and Marjolijn Heeres.
- As a member of the External Affairs Committee Anouk van Wetten.
- As a member of the Promotion Committee, Cristel Brandt.
- As members of the Simulation Committee, Madio Seck, Anouk van Wetten, Rogier Vonk, Carlo Krügermeier and Raymon van Leeuwen.
- As members of the Gala Committee, Mijke Dhondt, Martin Averdijk, Elsbeth Smalbrugge, Maya Keur, Roos Monshouwer and Rick Grijpma.
- As members of the September Camp Committee, Iris Veldhuis, Maud Goes, and Annika Boekenstijn.
- As a member of the Activities Committee, Amalia Schwandt.
- As a member of the Party Committee, Danielle Bosma.

HAMMERSTRIKE

Kim: Then we move on to agenda item 7: the GMA committees

HAMMERSTRIKE

7. GMA committees

18:30-18:50

Kim: I will ask one member of each of the GMA committees to update the GMA on their activities. I will first give the floor to Jaleesa from the Board of Advisors

Jaleesa: As last time we have a quick update for you. In the previous months, we've supported the board in various ways. Of course, we provided assistance in the preparation of today's many documents (except for the Half-Year Report, that's not our purview) and helped the board in the preparation of the GMA. In addition to this, we set up several documents that we think are of use to the association. Concretely, these documents detail what policies boards have made and whether they were a success. The reason we did this is that these policies, once voted in, should (for the most part) be carried out by the board following as well. However, without a clear overview of what these are, this is difficult to do (or consciously choose not to do). We hope that the documents provide this much-needed overview. Practically, this means that we should have a look at whether we still want these policies in place or not. Furthermore, these documents can help future boards in the construction of their policy plans, as it gives them an insight into what has been tried before (without having to reread minutes or previous plans). Additionally, they can help the GMA in their task of checking on the board. Our intention is that they will be made available online.

Then a comment of a more personal nature: after much back and forth (getting a visa is immensely difficult), I have managed to arrive in the UK. As long as GMA's are online, I'll of course attend, but if not, Martijn will step in for me. I'll also still be an active member of the BOA as far as possible.

Are there any questions?

Kim: If there are no further questions I would like to give the floor to someone from the Audit Committee, can I give the floor to you Valentine?

Valentine: For those of you that don't know us yet: we, the Audit Committee, monitor the finances and check the Treasurer's bookkeeping.

We have recently been occupied with the second audit of the year, which took place on the 31st of January. Furthermore, we've been answering Marjolijn's questions regarding accounting and gave feedback on the Financial Halfyear Report. We concluded that the numbers as stated in the Report are an accurate reflection of the financial state of our association.

In Marjolijn's process of creating the Report, we noted that clear and timely communication about problems was lacking. Despite addressing this issue, this trend continued with the result that the final version of the Financial Halfyear Report has only been available since yesterday.

Nevertheless, we are happy that everything worked out in the end. However, to prevent this situation from repeating itself in the future, we will schedule a meeting with Kim and Marjolijn to make clear agreements for the remainder of the year.

With kind regards,

The Audit Committee

Kim: if there are no further questions I would like to give the floor to Nina from the SIB-Link.

By now you should have received the second edition of the SIB-Link, for the first time ever either digital or physical. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed making it! We're well on our way with already the 3rd edition of this year, and things are going smooth. We are currently looking for writers and/or editors, so if you want to show the association your amazing skills, don't hesitate to reach out either by texting me, or mailing us at link@sib-utrecht.nl!

Kim: Are there any questions?

Sander: First of all, compliments for the super nice SIB-Link. No, I was wondering, are there possibilities about changing from digital to physical or the other way around, and how does that work?

Nina: Did you mean for members that they can change that they want digital or physical?

Sander: Yes.

Nina: I think that should be available via the site in the member portal but for that, I think Dana has a clearer answer on that?

Dana: Well, not yet, but that is the goal indeed. But for now, you can email me, I have written that in the email when sending the pdfs of the Link, you can just answer that email if you want to change your wishes. Or if you tell someone from the Link committee it should also be arranged.

Sander: Thank you, that is very clear and hopefully, the next SIB-Link will be as great as this one.

Kim: Hopefully so. Are there any more questions? If there are no further questions I would like to move on to the next agenda item: internationalization.

HAMMERSTRIKE

8. Internationalization

18:50-19:50

Els:

In the past 3 years we, as an association, have internationalized. What this means in the practical sense is that we currently use English as our main language at activities and in communication, our Talks and Twists are nearly 100% in English as well, and we promote in English and at international platforms such as the Orientation Days. It also means we currently have 6 international members, of which 2 are active members. Because of the large impact on our association, it is important to evaluate, and decide together how we will proceed.

To ensure this evaluation goes smoothly, we've sorted internationalization in several areas on which it has an impact. They are in the order in which it has the most impact on our association. With every topic, we will present the options available. Option a. is a continuation of internationalization as we do it now. Option b. is a reversion to being a Dutch association. Option c. is generally a compromise between these two. Each of the options has its consequences.

With every topic, we will discuss that part of internationalization. We will discuss everything, but to ensure that this discussion goes smoothly, we ask that you keep your questions as relevant to the specific topic as possible, or to save the question until the end. At the end of discussing each topic, we will vote on that part of internationalization, creating a plan step by step.

The topics and the order in which we will discuss them are as follows:

- Recruitment of international members
- Official communication between the board and members
- Official documents and GMAs
- Internal promotion
- External promotion
- Talks & Twists
- Other activities, trips, and events

Els: Are there any questions about the structure of this discussion?

Anouk: I had a question about why we are voting for an internationalization plan. I was wondering what your understanding was of the reason why last year's half-year GMA, the GMA decided not to want to vote for any set plan?

Els: We have decided to vote on a plan because internationalization is still a process we are undergoing, which means there are steps to be taken with it or a decision to not go through with it as we never truly evaluated internationalization and this plan is meant to create future steps for how to continue. Does that answer your question?

Anouk: Yes, but I just think that last year we have evaluated in the acceptance of the guideline which can be used by each board. I do not think there is a necessity for officially voted in plans but I don't know if any other members of the GMA agree.

Kim: Sander has his hand raised so maybe we are about to find out.

Sander: No it was not in line with what Anouk was asking so can I ask my own question or can Anouk reform her own question?

Kim: I think it would be best if Anouk would reform her question.

Anouk: I was wondering if other people of the GMA agree with the necessity to vote on an internationalization plan as opposed to keeping the two guidelines.

Jaleesa: I think that it is a good idea to reevaluate what you have done with internationalization. I think the guidelines we had last year were a nice start and brought us further but I think there wasn't really that much room there to talk about what we want as an association, what we are doing with internationalization. And I do think it is an important discussion to have.

Kim: I also see in the chat that Iris and Sander also agree to vote.

Anouk: Discussion is always good.

Kim: I think I will now give the floor to Sander, you can finally ask your own question.

Sander: My question is about the clarification about Els' explanation. If I understand it correctly we vote per step that is now on the screen and not all the steps at once?

Els: No, as you say, per point we vote which direction to go, but of course the order matters. In case of recruitment, if you decide to keep recruiting international members, in further steps it makes less sense to go back to the Dutch language so what we previously voted on affects future steps but we do decide per each topic which way to go.

Sander: Okay that makes sense.

Els: Recruitment of international members

Currently, there are certain actions we take to actively recruit international students, such as being present at Orientation Days, creating all our promotion materials (flyers, posters for events, stickers, etc.) in English. This allows for international students to find us. However, what should be considered is that this is a lot of work, for which the result has been little considering the low number of international members, both active and non-active.

a.	We continue actively recruiting international students in the way we are doing now.
b.	We stop recruiting international members and revert to being a Dutch student association.
c.	We stop actively recruiting international students, but they are welcome to sign up.

Option a. would be a continuation of the current situation where we continue actively seeking out international students. Option b. would spare the board and committees work which has shown little result, but it would exclude international students from our association. Option c. would spare the board and committees work which has shown little result, and would still allow international students to become members, but it would be harder for them to find our association.

Els: Are there any questions?

Benjamin: Is the difference between B and C just promotional material?

Els: No, it would also be the places where we promote and certain collaborations with international student platforms. It's mostly the language of promotion but also these two things.

Valentine: I was wondering with option B, would that mean that internationals are not allowed to sign up?

Els: Yes that is what it would mean.

Valentine: So then you would actively say no?

Els: Yes that is option B.

Valentine: Okay.

Sander: Why would option B mean that they are not welcome and not just that they have to accept that it is Dutch?

Els: That would be option C, but whether it would be Dutch or not depends on our decisions in future topics. This would only be about do we accept people that are international students and therefore not Dutch or do we not accept those people?

Sander: In that case, I would like to think about this discussion not only about what we as an association actually would like to be and like ideally want to be but also think about what is realistic for the future while looking at other international student associations or either international students in general live in Utrecht we need to think very fairly, very realistically whether they would be a large part of our association and with that in mind, think about how many Dutch students would like to be part of an association which is a little bit of both and not very clear on one side.

Eefje: I think that is a fair point Sander but also think that we should keep in mind that even though we might, depending on future choices, revert back to an association just basically being Dutch that this is possible with either B and C and I don't see if there, for example, if we revert back to being Dutch and an international is really interested in SIB, in Dutch culture, wants to learn more about it, I don't see why we should deny that person to become a member of our association if they accept that everything might be in Dutch or not. Also seeing how being vrijblijvend is such a mature part of our identity.

Demian: I think we do need to keep in mind that this is split up. This question is purely about do we say no in the beginning or not. People are now thinking ahead so we should keep the discussion about do we want internationals: definitely no, sure they can join, or definitely yes. I think that is the first thing we need to discuss before we go further.

Kim: Very good point Demian and also exactly the point we were making in the beginning. We are discussing this per topic so if anybody has something to say, specifically about the recruitment of members, now is your time to do so.

Anouk: I just wanted to ask about the new subsidy of the University of Utrecht, if that has been taken into account by the board or the GMA, that if you deny internationals in joining SIB, this has implications for the new subsidy division and the position that SIB has in their eyes.

Els: Thank you, I think this is a good thing to keep in mind.

Sander: The point made by Anouk is indeed a significant point since other documents also show that there are problems in finance and therefore I think that to really revert back to a Dutch student association might not be the ideal option if we are an association which presents itself as being interested in *international* topics and ideals. However, I would then suggest that if the needs and the energy that we put into recruiting new international students was not beneficial at all, the third option would also make it easier in the future to eventually become international when the time is right. So I would hope that everyone here would vote for option C, thank you very much.

Martijn: The one thing I wanted to say is that actively denying internationals is not one of the three options, it would be discrimination so I don't think that is one thing we're going to choose for, it's just no active recruiting.

Valentine: I would like to respond to Martijn because I just asked if option B would mean that we actively deny internationals and then the answer was yes. So I assume that we then indeed discriminate people, which is not cool. So is this the case then, because now I'm also confused.

Els: It is the intention behind option B indeed.

Valentine: Okay then I really hope that people will not vote for option B because that is discrimination indeed and that's not cool.

Kim: I think it's also a bit more about framework. I don't think we are actively excluding people but when you revert back to being a fully Dutch association you refuse to cater to internationals. So strictly Dutch sends a message so it's not necessarily discrimination but we are just Dutch-exclusive. So if an international would speak Dutch, it would change the game. I think it's more about a language barrier than anything else.

Valentine: But that's up to the person in question then and not whether we would actively deny them right? Because I think that's a big difference, then an international member can still sign up if we were to go for option B.

Kim: I think it's all a matter of language actually.

Els: I understand what you are saying Kim, but I think language is a topic that is discussed further along in this plan. But I do think that, rwarding this now, it would actually be discrimination but it would let us revert back to being a Dutch association which is why it's one of the options. If people are more open to not actively promoting to internationals but being open to them, option C is exactly that.

Madio: Even if we revert, that won't mean that SIB will be saved, won't mean that we suddenly get many new members. And when we did choose to go for internationalization, we knew that it was a process which takes years. If you look at Groningen, it took them quite a couple of years to develop an international culture. If we revert, personally, I think we do not gain everything and only lose some because then we would be just another student association that is seen as intellectual and not much more. And I think we are much more and I think that the benefits of internationalization are long-term and take a while. And by reverting back, first of all, you remove all the international members, and secondly, it's definitely not good promotion like oh that's the association that is against internationals. So I am all for A and that's why we picked it years ago. I don;t get why we should discuss this at every GMA, I think everything has been said and we just need to commit.

Els: Does that mean that you think that the work done on internationalization so far has not been all the work that could have been done. That it's still a process in continuation?

Madio: Indeed, but I do think we are on the right track.

Kim: Okay due to time, Valentine, David and Anouk still get to speak and then we move on to the vote.

Valentine: I agree with Madio. Back in the day when we started with internationalization, we did some research. We talked with SIB-Groningen and Amsterdam and they said it is a long process. I really think that when promoting for the UIT for example, it's so beneficial for Dutch members because they think oh it's so nice to be able to get in touch with people from other cultures. We shouldn't get demotivated because it takes a while.

Kim: I think Anouk has put her hand down so David.

David: I see a lot of people talking about the future but we have been trying this for three years now. When are we concluding whether this plan has succeeded or not? People should also be realistic if it works or not.

Kim: We will now vote on this topic.

Voting results:

A: 15
B: 0
C: 9

With 15 votes for option A we will continue as we do so now.

Els: Official communication between the board and members

Currently, all official communication between the Board and members is done in English. This could mean that Dutch-speaking members may struggle with fully understanding our communication, but it allows for non-Dutch speaking members to understand and participate in all aspects of official communication within the association.

a.	All official communication between the board and members, which includes association-wide emails, cards, surveys, etc. will continue to be in English.
b.	All official communication between the Board and members, which includes association-wide emails, cards, surveys, etc. will revert back to Dutch.
c.	All official communication between the Board and members, which includes association-wide emails, cards, surveys, etc. will be offered in both English and Dutch. In certain cases such as cards, either English or Dutch will be used, based on the member being an international or not.

Option a. would be a continuation of the current situation. Option b. would mean that our Dutch-speaking members can understand and participate in our official communication better, but would exclude our non-Dutch speaking members. Option c. would ensure all members can understand and participate in all official communication, but could create long official communication and the added issue of creating a hierarchy between languages.

Els: Are there any questions?

Benjamin: I thought it was also an option to abstain from the vote but that wasn't an option.

Kim: That's true, it should be an option actually. If you choose to abstain from voting, you could maybe just not vote.

Benjamin: Okay cool!

Sander: If I understood it correctly, option A was chosen in the previous statement.

Kim: Yes.

Els: Yes.

Sander: What I really really wonder here and this has a little bit to do with this question but more about everything we have to do in the future in general, is how much desentiment of option A over option C is held by members that are gonna be active in the upcoming years. If we look really good at the people present here, there are many mebers that are problaby gonna be less active in the upcoming years than members that became members this year or the year before.and I really simphitize with the idea of actively going after international students but to be absolutely fair, both in my bachelor's and master's I have studied with international students and I tried multiple times to get them into this association, I'm wondering whether future generations of SIB members will share this sentiment as the previous generations. I am very serious here and I would really like to let other members

think about whether future SIB members are able to continue to hope for being an international student association, it's very hard...

Kim: We have already voted, it is hard to say but it is already decided. Future generations can always change in three years or so.

Els: Thank you Kim, for saying what I wanted to say as well. Does anyone do anything to add about this specific topic?

Benjamin: Has an analysis been made of how many extra work this will be, if we choose option C instead of letting it be in one language?

Els: I don't think an analysis has been done on this but I think it would mean double work for many things.

Valentine: In my year, we did do the two language thing and it didn't take a lot of time honestly. For now it would be just internal promotion and that are just short messages.

Jaleesa: I just wanted to ask about the surveys in option C, would you then have two different surveys?

Els: I would suppose the two different surveys would be most sufficient in making surveys, but that's my personal view.

Valentine: In my year we had two different surveys, one linked to Dutch and one to English.

Eefje: Google Form has a great option to select Dutch or English and then you go through a different survey without actually making two, Google will take care of it.

We will now vote on this topic.

Voting results:

A: 5

B: 1

C: 17

Els: Official documents and GMAs

Currently, GMAs, GMA minutes, and policy documents are provided in English only. Committee protocols are provided in Dutch. This means GMAs and most official documents are accessible to all members, but Dutch speaking members may struggle to understand everything completely and make it more difficult to join in during GMAs. It also means becoming the chair of a committee, or a board member is currently not accessible to non-Dutch speaking members.

a.	All GMAs and official documents, which include policy documents, financial reports, GMA minutes, committee protocols, Board training documents, etc. will be in English.
b.	All GMAs and official documents, which include policy documents, financial reports, GMA minutes, committee protocols, Board training documents, etc. will revert back to Dutch.
c.	All GMAs and official documents, which include policy documents, financial reports, GMA minutes, committee protocols, board training documents, etc. will be offered in both English and Dutch. In the case of the GMA, the presence of an international would determine the used language.

Option a. would be a continuation of the current situation, with the addition of committee chair positions, and Board positions becoming available to international members. This would mean a lot of translation work, and a possible disconnect because of difficulties in communication because of a possible language barrier. Option b. would allow our Dutch speaking members to understand all official documents and participate in GMAs, but would exclude internationals from these. Option c. would mean that everyone is able to understand official documents and participate in GMAs, but could lead to long official documents, duo-lingual preparation and finalisation of GMA's for the Board, and a lot of translation work, with the added issue of creating a hierarchy between languages.

Els: Are there any questions?

Madio: If you pick option C, you will have to translate the GMA minutes so I would pick A or B because C is a complete waste of time and the board's mental strengths. (easter egg: thanks Madio!! <3)

Annika: I was wondering why you combined the GMA and the GMA minutes with the other official documents since the GMA depends on who is present and the minutes would be, at least that's what I would say, the same language as the people who were present because translating them takes a lot of time and effort which is honestly not worth it. And the official documents, you only have to make them once so I think they would fit in two different categories.

Els: What I think was said more obvious in the document was that even if you do decide for example option A, we could add as the GMA that we would like to do GMA's in Dutch if there is no international present. It is possible to tweak options. First we would decide on one option and then decide how to tweak it.

Annika: But deciding on one option right now can depend on how you want to tweak it in the end.

Els: I suppose it will depend on what option suits your preferences the most.

Eefje: Thanks for the clarification Els because I actually wanted to propose something. I would keep the official documents, GMA minutes, all that stuff in English since it is so much work. I would suggest that if you want the GMA to be Dutch in case there are no international members, I would suggest that if it becomes A that we would tweak it like that, we can vote on it again because that would be my preferred option. And in the case of there being no international members and the minutes coming in Dutch as well, then we could maybe write a small summary.

Els: Personally that was how we envisioned it.

Anouk: I wanted to say the same as Eefje, I agree that official documents are more difficult to translate than the GMA is. Other associations that have internationalized, also said that they did not have their GMA's in English for like 5 years. I think it is ideal for us to have the GMA's and the minutes in English but as long as there is no demand from the English members, I do not see the necessity of that. We are very ambitious to have that in English already.

Aiso: I must say that I found it odd that we can vote for all these points individually without consequences because if we already agreed that we continue recruiting international members, it is very weird that we still have the option to have all the documents in Dutch. Since we already agreed that we keep attracting internationals, it has to be option A or C now and I strongly agree with Madio that C is a really really really really bad idea for the board's well-being.

Els: I hope you do understand that this PowerPoint was made with the option that anyone of the first options could have been chosen, which meant there could have been an option where B could be chosen, which is why B is still included in each poll.

Kim: We will now vote on this topic.

Voting results:

A: 23

B: 2

C: 1

Kim: Then right now is the time to discuss the tweak. If there are no internationals present at the GMA, the GMA will be in Dutch.

Benjamin: The meeting minutes will then also be in Dutch with a brief summary in English?

Kim: Yes.

Jeljer: I know out of experience that translating or making the minutes is quite a lot of work so you give the Secretary an extra task or?

Kim: That is exactly what we are going to vote on.

Jeljer: Okay, grimmig.

Anouk: Is there also an option that the GMA is in Dutch, whether if there is an international present or not?

Els: I think that was what we voted on previously which showed a clear majority for option A.

Voting results:

A: 3

A with a tweak: 21

- Tweak = If there are no internationals present at the GMA, the GMA is in Dutch.

Els: Internal promotion

Currently, all internal promotion is done solely in English, which includes the forms mentioned above. Some members have mentioned their preference for Dutch as it is easier to understand, but that would also make it inaccessible to our international members.

a.	All forms of internal promotion, such as the eSIB, the SIB-Link, the promotional Whatsapp-group, and the Sibbeling Facebook group will continue to be in English.
b.	All forms of internal promotion, such as the eSIB, the SIB-Link, the promotional Whatsapp-group, and the Sibbeling Facebook group will revert back to Dutch.
c.	All forms of internal promotion, such as the eSIB, the SIB-Link, the promotional Whatsapp-group, and the Sibbeling Facebook group will be done both in English and in Dutch.

Option a. would be a continuation of the current situation. Option b. could mean our Dutch-speaking members understand our promotional messages better, but would exclude our non-Dutch speaking members. Option c. could ensure all members understand the promotional messages, but could create long promotional material, and the added issue of

creating a hierarchy between languages. It would also increase the workload for committees and the board.

Els: Are there any questions?

Kim: I would like to say that I would like to work with a vragentreintje. So raise your hand now if you have any questions.

Eefje: So if we do option C, how are we going to do it with the SIB-Link. Because it seems difficult to publish it in its entirety twice. I thought, Nina is also present, maybe she can tell us something about her preference and what she thinks is feasible for the committee.

Kim: I would like to add to that that the SIB-Link is currently already part English part Dutch.

Nina: At the moment the SIB-Link is completely in English except for the quotes. Quotes can still be in Dutch, because Dutch members naturally say Dutch quotes and it doesn't work to translate. I don't know about the rest of the committee, but my personal preference is either English or Dutch, not bilingual, because the SIB-Link in itself is a lot of work and if we had to do it in two languages writing would really be impossible. So my personal preference from the SIB-Link, and of course the rest of the committee if present can also say something about it, is to choose 1 language, not bilingual, thank you.

Kim: Okay I see that Sander and Anouk have also raised their hands. I thought we were working with a vragentreintje, meaning that this is not meant to be. I will give the floor to Annika.

Annika: I actually had the same question as Eefje, what is the purpose of a bilingual Link. Is it then that you have articles in both English and Dutch in 1 Link? Or that you do everything twice, because those are two different things and I think it can make a difference.

Els: The way I see it myself is that the committee can decide for itself what they do in English and what they do in Dutch.

Kim: For the sake of Dana, our beautiful Secretary, this is a very confusing time for her. If you need to pose your question in Dutch, feel free to do so, however, I would still like to continue this GMA mostly in English in order to Dana still wants to continue as a Secretary after this GMA. Martijn is the last person in our vragentreintje and then we will move onto voting.

Martijn: I also think that doing all the official documents in English and also having the GMA in English except when there is no one who doesn't speak Dutch, it would be a bit weird if all other documentation would be in English and Dutch so we would be a bit inconsistent for non-members.

We will now vote on this topic.

Voting results:

A: 10

B: 1

C: 13

Kim: And I also see two abstains in the chat.

Eefje: Can I propose a tweak that the SIB-Link is still in one language?

Kim: Nina how would you feel about that?

Nina: The thing is that I could make a decision now but I would also like to discuss it with my committee.

Vote on SIB-Link

Dutch and English: 11

Dutch: 6

English: 3

Els: External promotion

Currently, all external promotion is done in English. This allows for non-Dutch speaking students and sponsors to be aware of what we do, but it could also lead to the alienation of Dutch speaking students and sponsors.

a.	All forms of external promotion, such as the website, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. will continue to be in English.
b.	All forms of external promotion, such as the website, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. will revert back to Dutch.
c.	All forms of external promotion, such as the website, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. will be done in both English and Dutch.

Option a. would be a continuation of the current situation. Option b. would mean that international students and sponsors would be unable to find us and be aware of what we do, but could lead to more Dutch-speaking students and sponsors to find us. Option c. would ensure all students and sponsors understand the promotional messages, but could create long promotional material, and the added issue of creating a hierarchy between languages.

Els: Are there any questions?

Madio: We have several questions where we make a decision about whether we speak English and whether we are practicing internationalization policy right? Why did we vote at the beginning for internationalization and now make all these small decisions that basically come down to internationalization which can turn the tide for the final decision? I am very confused about all these questions. I do think it's right that you thought out and there might be some difference in it but I think that we are wasting points that we already made, that are implicated in the first decision. But I do appreciate that you are very open and willing to listen to the members. But I don't think this is the way.

Els: Thank you for your addition, I like to clarify that the decision that was made at the first option was not something we could have predicted so the way it was set up was that any option could still be followed. The Dutch option might feel redundant now but it was still an option in the beginning.

Iris V: A lot of things that we now vote for are a lot of work for a few people and in general that are not the people who vote, for example on the previous thing, you can vote on that, but for some people that is just days of extra work so I think it's unfair to vote for it like this if it's practically none of your business.

We will now vote on this topic.

A: 9
B: 1
C: 15

Els: Talks & Twists

The current situation is that the EAC (External Affairs Committee) aims to have 100% of their Talks & Twists in English. This affects the speakers they invite and therefore the topics they address. It also means they are able to reach a wide audience, including people who don't speak Dutch.

a.	We continue with the current plan. This means a continuation of English as the main language used for Talks and Twists, which includes the 100% aim.
b.	A reversion of English as the main language used for Talks and Twists. We go back to using Dutch as the standard language for speakers.
c.	We become flexible with the percentages, aiming towards a 50/50 division of English and Dutch where it depends on the EAC's and Speakers' preferences.

Option a. would be a continuation of the current situation. Option b. could lead to a limitation in topics and speakers to write to, as only Dutch-speaking speakers could be invited, and also a limitation on who could attend Talks & Twists as internationals would be excluded. Option c. could allow for the widest range in possibilities, where the EAC has the fewest limitations on their choice of topics and speakers, but could lead to limitations on who could attend as internationals would not be able to attend all Talks and Twists.

Els: Are there any questions?

Jaleesa: I was wondering what the external affairs committee and the CE think of this.

Iris: We have the feeling that since the talks are only in English, we have lost part of our audience that came to our Dutch talks. We are not sure about this but we said this might be something that we could test. So the committee would like to experiment with more Dutch talks.

Aiso: Back in the days, when I used to attend talks, in my opinion that was the one place where we were succesful in attracting international students. We weren't super succesful in letting them join the association but they did come to the talks. But the more important point is that when we want to attract international students, we want to be an association that is open to everyone and when you are organizing Dutch events, you are organizing things that are not open for all members and I think that is quite an important principle we should not want.

Anouk: I have to disagree with Aiso but I do think that a divisoon of 50/50 is difficult. I think that we can win some things if it's not only English, if there is more room to differ between the languages since that was also in the options we voted for previously so I think we can play with that awhile until it is a necessity to have everything in English because of demands.

Els: Does that mean you propose a tweak?

Anouk: Yes because the 50/50 division is something that should be part of the boards policy making and not necessarily setting stones here.

We will now vote on this topic.

- A: 3
- B: 0
- C: 6
- D (C with a tweak Anouk proposed): 16

Els: Other activities, trips, and events

Currently, all activities, trips and events are organised in English, although there are some exceptions due to collaborations. This means international members are nearly always able to join in on activities, but it also means that activities are often English-speaking despite there only being Dutch-speaking people present.

a.	All activities, trips and events should be organised in English.
b.	All activities, trips and events should be organised in Dutch.
c.	All activities, trips and events should be prepared in both English and Dutch, and depending on the presence of a non-Dutch speaking person the language used should be determined.

Option a. would be a continuation of the current situation. Option b. could allow our members who are Dutch-speaking to feel more comfortable organising and coming to activities. On the other hand, this could exclude the current and possibly future international members of our association. Option c. could prevent the exclusion of any of our members, but could mean an added workload for our committees.

Els: Are there any questions?

Annika: I just wanted to be sure if the symposium is also concluded in the events. How does that work for speakers?

Els: I think what would be best for the symposium committee is that they would have the same as the External Affairs Committee where they can decide for themselves what they think is best for the symposium.

Martijn: It doesn't mean that the symposium is entirely in Dutch or in English. They can also just decide per item or per speaker.

Els: Yes indeed.

Nina: I had a similar question as Annika except how does that work for the UIT?

Els: I think the goal of the UIT is to attract students which as we have decided before is both Dutch and international which makes the language that is used during UIT events English but I think the UIT committee will also be able to make that choice themselves.

We will now vote on this topic.

- A: 0
- B: 0
- C: 24

Els:

To summarize:

- for recruitment of international members we have chosen option A.
- for official communication between the board and members we have chosen option C
- for official documents and GMAs we have chosen option A with a tweak.
- for internal promotion we have chosen option C with the Link in Dutch and English.
- for external promotion we have chosen option C.
- for talks & Twists we have chosen option C with a tweak.
- for other activities, trips, and events we have chosen option C.

Some of these changes can be implemented immediately, certain big changes will be implemented from the next academic year and onwards.

Kim: Thank you all for the input about this topic, I would like to start the break now. We will see you back at 20:01 sharp!

HAMMERSTRIKE

9. Break

19:50-20:00

Kim: Welcome back everybody! With the next hammerstrike I reopen the GMA at 20:01.

HAMMERSTRIKE

Kim: I would now like to move on to agenda item 10; Code of conduct and the confidentiality protocol

HAMMERSTRIKE

10. Code of conduct and confidentiality protocol

20:00-20:30

Kim: I would now like to present the two documents written in the name of social safety. As voted in during the policy GMA, we promised to deliver a code of conduct and a confidentiality protocol. The general goal of these documents is to help contribute to a safer association, in which everyone feels at home. These documents are in both English and Dutch, considering that the Dutch ones, once voted in, are legally valid. For these documents I would like to discuss the content only, for stylistical remarks you can send an email to our secretary Dana.

Then I would like to start with the Code of Conduct. A Code of Conduct includes the drawn guidelines about the desired behavior within our association. The aim within SIB is that every member feels comfortable and that they can enjoy their time within the association. To ensure this, this code of conduct includes rules that, once voted in, we aim to comply with and convey. In addition to this, a Code of Conduct helps to make misconduct measurable, and in turn; more recognizable.

The Code of Conduct consists of three parts, a first part in which general behavior is described, a second part in which person-related guidelines are raised, and a third part in which acting on misconduct is set out.

The first part, describing general behavior, is the basic behavior expected of everyone within or in relation to SIB. It explains guidelines for the respect we show one another, the accountability that one carries for their actions, what is not tolerated within the association, and that we are to follow the rules of the place where we are guests.

The second part has to do with person-related guidelines, which are divided into three groups; attendees, committees/organizers, and the board.

Attendees are supposed to handle alcohol responsibly, show respect to the organizers of an activity, and take care not to disrupt the activity.

Committees/organizers are responsible for the activity itself, and are aware that in the promotion of activities, they represent the association.

The board carries out its actions in the best interest of SIB, ensures that there is always one board member approachable, carries responsibility for the implementation of the code of conduct and treats misconduct from a fellow board member with integrity.

The third part deals with acting on inappropriate behavior and misconduct. It deals with the cases where the Code of Conduct is violated.

Attendees can be removed from an event or activity when they do not comply with the code of conduct. The board carries the final responsibility for this action

The board can issue warnings to those who show inappropriate behavior, and can attend the person in question that sanctions may follow when this behavior is continued.

The board can apply the sanctions, as established in the Rule of Procedure and the Statutes, to inappropriate behavior that exceeds the code of conduct.

When it comes to the implementation of sanctions, they are issued and implemented by the board.

Kim: That was, in short, the Code of Conduct. Are there any questions regarding the contents?

Myrte: I had a short question about removing people from activities. Are only board members allowed or also committee members?

Kim: It is not just so that only board members can do so, there are also a lot of society activities where there are no board members present, but the board carries the final responsibility. So if a board member is not present, someone from the committee can remove that person.

Myrte: So someone from the organization can do it? And if there are board members present and people that are organizing that activity, the the board would be the one doing the removal right?

Kim: Yes.

Jaleesa: Often it is the board that does the removal or carries out the sanctions, but what happens if one of the board members doesn't comply with these rules?

Kim: Another board member or a committee member will remove the board member from the activity.

Anouk: I wanted to give a compliment. It's a very concise document, well done, thank you. It was much needed.

Kim: Thank you, that's nice to hear. If there are no further questions, I would like to move on to the voting. Please fill in the poll on the screen.

Jaleesa: I just wanted to make a comment that sometimes the board of advisors votes against the document to let everything stay anonymous so feel free to vote whatever you want.

The cast votes are as follows:

- Pro 21
- Against 1
- Abstain 3

Kim: Then hereby the code of conduct is accepted.

HAMMERSTRIKE

Kim: Then I would like to move on to the confidant protocol. In the past year, confidants have been established within SIB and we have worked towards their visibility. In the previous board year, a guideline for the confidants was set up, but this not extensive enough to cover the weight of the position of confidant. This protocol is a guideline for the actions of the confidants of SIB, as well as a source of information for both the confidants and members.

The confidant is the first point of contact for members dealing with well-being problems. The confidant is not a caregiver, lawyer, or psychologist, but can offer a listening ear, can help clarify issues and can refer members to suitable care. Everything the confidant does, is in agreement with the member in question, the confidant does not operate in the name of the members.

One important change that we have made, is who gets to be a confidant. As of right now, the confidants are picked from the Board of Advisors. We have decided to change that, for two reasons. The first is to ensure that there is no mixing of function-specific responsibilities. The role of the Board of Advisors and the role of the confidants are different, and they have different goals. In addition to this, is it beneficial for clarity and visibility of the confidant if their function is separate from the Board of Advisors.

The confidants protocol consists of a few different parts, which I will go into now.

The first part gives some examples of when a member can go to a confidant, for instance when they are feeling unsafe within the association or just simply want to chat with someone. This part is meant to show the approachability of the confidants.

The second part deals with the function of the confidants, which describes the demands the confidants have to meet in order to carry out the function as well as possible.

The first function is being the 'first point of contact' and trying to set up a meeting with a member as soon as possible, when they are approached. After this first meeting there are certain actions which can be taken, one of which leads us to the second function of the confidants; referring.

The confidant can make a suggestion for a referral. The confidant themselves cannot provide professional aid, so there are two possibilities for referral; internal and external. Internal means bodies within the association, and external refers to amongst others psychological help, legal aid or victim support.

The third function regards the visibility of the confidants. The first approach to this is informative and is mostly concerned with the exposure of the confidants within the association. The second approach implies that confidants strive to be known among the members and to be approachable and accessible.

The rights of the confidants are also captured in this protocol, meaning they can withdraw from the position at any time, with a one month notice, and that they have the right to withdraw from a situation, provided they can provide an adequate referral.

The confidants carry some responsibilities, the largest one being confidentiality. When a confidant enters into their function, they will sign a confidentiality agreement, which applies during the fulfillment of their function, but also afterwards. In case the confidentiality is broken, the member in question, and if necessary the board, will be notified.

Any documentation about the relationship between member and confidant is confidential as well. To ensure this, confidants have their own email and google drive. When there is a switch in confidant, there is no transfer of documents, unless desired otherwise by the member.

In assigning the confidant, the Board of Advisors plays a large role, in order to ensure the independence of the confidants from the board. The confidant is assigned via an application process, which the Board of Advisors will handle. They will recommend candidates during the GMA, along with a negative or positive recommendation along with an explanation. The confidant is assigned for one year, and will have to be voted in again after this year.

When finding two independent candidates fails, the Board of Advisors will temporarily fulfill the role.

In the relationship with the board, the confidants are completely independent and answer solely to the GMA. The board also aims to provide every newly appointed confidant with a training.

Kim: That was the Confidantsprotocol, are there any questions regarding the contents?

Anouk: I was wondering if the board can propose the impeachment of the confidants. What if in the future the GMA wants to propose the impeachment? Could that be added? Suppose the GMA is not happy with the confidant but he is friends with the board.

Kim: That is a good question, I think why it was originally phrased like this is the main reason the confidant is impeached is because it broke confidentiality which is only something

the member in question and the board would know about but it could be possible to add a sentence or two describing that the GMA could also start the impeachment process.

Anouk: Yeah and also that it is not only about the broken confidentiality but also if the person doesn't fulfill their position.

Kim: Yeah I do think that the only way for the GMA to know that the confidant is not fulfilling in their position would be if a member who had contact with the confidant spoke out about it. I will add it in the document.

Myrte: I have one question and one opinion. If there is only one independent confidant will the other position also be filled by someone on the board of advisors?

Kim: We want two confidants at all times so in the case we have one confidant, someone on the board of advisors would fill that position until we would find an additional one.

Myrte: And then this is my opinion. If a confidant breaks their confidentiality, I don't think there needs to be a vote about it. I think that's bad enough for the board to put them out of function and just notify the GMA.

Kim: I agree with you that a violation of confidentiality is great and should lead to the disbarment of the function. However, to ensure the independence of the confidant from the board, and make sure the confidant only answers to the GMA, we cannot do that.

Martijn: That was one of the two points I wanted to make but also someone from a GMA committee can also only be dispensed by the GMA.

Kim: If there are no further questions, I would like to move on to the voting. Please fill in the poll on the screen. For those who are authorized, there will be a second round in which you can cast your votes. If you are NOT authorized, please don't vote twice.

The cast votes are as follows:

- Pro 20
- Against 2
- Abstain 3

Kim: Then hereby the Confidantsprotocol [with the agreed changes] is accepted

HAMMERSTRIKE

Kim: Then I would like to move on to the next agenda item: the strategic plan

HAMMERSTRIKE

11. Strategic plan

20:30-21:30

Kim: As said before, during the policy GMA we promised to write some documents and the strategic plan is one of those. The strategic plan aims to help SIB cast a glance to the future, in order to fortify the association. Preserving the values of SIB, does not always entail a conservatist stance towards the structure of the association. This plan paints a picture for the upcoming years, to ensure that upcoming boards, in addition to their own input, can act consistently.

The strategic plan does not stand on its own, but will kick off the start of the beginning of a number of multi-annual plans. That is exactly why this document needs to be voted on, to ensure that the entire GMA agrees with the multi-annual plans that need to be written.

This plan does more than just identify existing problems, it also makes suggestions for the coming boards. These suggestions, here called 'spot on the horizon', are based on conversations with members during Member Consultation Moments and overall observations.

There is a certain hierarchy in the ranking of the list of topics, the plans at the top of this list have the most influence on the continuance of the association and we consider the most pressing issues.

We will discuss each topic separately, in order to structure the discussion surrounding this plan. General questions can be asked at the end.

Starting with member recruitment. Mostly due to COVID we have seen a decline in first years, as also seen in the table on the screen. Part of this problem will likely disappear when the pandemic ends, but we cannot fully put our hopes on that considering other associations are still growing even under these circumstances. The shortage in members has the most influence on finances and committee and Board filling.

The spot on the horizon is a re-evaluation of our external promotion strategy, especially when it comes to the UITweek, the week in which we recruit most of our members. A new promotion plan can make SIB more attractive and hopefully compensate for the loss of last years.

Kim: Are there any questions about member recruitment?

Sander: Do we know what other things might be influential except for COVID? We are one of the few associations in Utrecht that has a decline in new members, is it than fair to only see Covid as a reason?

Kim: It is obvious to see that covid hit the hardest but as we will present in the rest of this plan, there are other things that can potentially help in member recruitment.

Sander: Oh that sounds very good.

Kim: It does sound very good, stay tuned!

Kim: Then I would like to move on to the next topic; talks

In the past two years, we have seen a decline in the attendance numbers of our program of talks, as seen in the table on the screen. During Member Consultation Moments it also became clear that the enthusiasm for the talks in their current form has declined. This impacts member bonding, finances, the motivation of the External Affairs Committee and might discourage speakers.

The spot on the horizon is an evaluation of the program of talks in its current format. This is already in progress, as the EAC is hosting a brainstorming session with other board committees. After finishing the evaluation steps can be made in order to work on some problems that were established during this evaluation, which will hopefully lead to an increase in attendance.

Kim: Are there any questions regarding this topic?

Benjamin: Would there be a possibility to do a survey about why the members would not want to show up?

Kim: That is a good idea, but there were questions about this in the half year survey right? Would you want a more extensive survey?

Benjamin: Yes, I would recommend that and I would be glad to help Iris, probably with the rest of the EC to create something.

Kim: Okay I think that is a great thing to take into consideration and I will surely ask your help when it comes to it.

Kim: Then moving on to finances

We have divided this into two parts, income and expenses.

Income consists of member contribution, which entails that the yearly expenses do not increase at the same rate that our yearly income does. This means that having fewer members puts more pressure on our budget and makes us more reliant on other incomes.

One of our other incomes is sponsorship. After the loss of CIMSOLUTIONS, it has been increasingly difficult to find another structural sponsor. SIB is not as attractive as some other associations are, we have too little members to actively promote to, and our association is unfortunately not niche enough to acquire very specific sponsors. In addition to this, businesses have many ways of promoting themselves that are often more effective than sponsoring and association.

The spot on the horizon for our income is another re-evaluation, and to determine which source of income can realistically provide us with money we need to function as an association. More money can then be put into optimizing the viable sources of income

The loss of CIMSolutions caused a large decrease in our annual income and will thus force us to look at our budget and re-evaluate which expenses are not essential for the survival of our association.

The spot on the horizon is determining if our estimated spending is accurate to our realized spending, and ensuring the costs and benefits of each post are balanced. We should also look at what expenses give us the greatest return in value for our association.

Kim: Any questions regarding finances?

Annika: I just wanted to be sure how you want to implement this. Is the plan to work on this in a few years' time or that from now on we will look more closely at this every year, for example as the kascie with the treasurer?

Kim: Some of these spots of the horizon are small changes we can make in the next year such as the re-evaluation of our budget. And what you are saying is true, we shouldn't wait until the deadline is set in a couple of years to look at this. Mayo will help our next treasurer do that re-evaluation of our budget. But for instance when it comes to sponsorship, there could be a multi-annual plan written and our budget could be taken into account in this.

Kim: Then moving on to member bonding.

This year, 27.3% of our members have become so-called 'sleeping members', meaning they are inactive members, this affects committee and board filling, as well as presence at activities.

The spot on the horizon is that part of the problem could be our commitment-free identity, and in order to improve bonding, this part of our identity could be re-evaluated. In addition to this, we propose an evaluation of the current forms of bonding.

Kim: Are there any questions about this?

Valentine: When are you active and when are you sleeping?

Kim: I believe Martin made a definition in his year. The definition of an active member is when they are part of a committee or show up at least once in two weeks at either an activity or a lecture.

Els: I like to add that in this case we also include who we knew by name and are active at GMA's as active members. And sleeping members are truly those that most of us don't know or haven't seen in more than a year.

Kim: Okay I hope that answers the question, Sander?

Sander: Why are members that are active on GMA's also active members?

Kim: They actively contribute to the shaping of the association.

Els: Exactly how you say is how we meant it. If you participate active in a GMA, you're active in the shaping of our association.

Kim: Any more questions about member bonding?

Then moving on to the final part of our plan; program II which consists of activities and trips. We have seen a decline in the number of attendees at activities, with sometimes only 3-5 people attending besides the board and the organizing committee. We currently do not have the capacity to organize activities every week, and have a decent turnout.

The spot on the horizon is an evaluation about if we want to continue the weekly activities program with the current capacity and determine if it is worth the effort. If it turns out that we do want to continue, we have to figure out a way to make activities more attractive and maybe look at the format of the activities.

Every year we organize a minimum of three trips. Every trip a relatively small amount of the association joins, whilst a large part of our budget is reserved for this. With short trips, the attendance is higher than with longer trips, thus making them more viable. For the longer trips, the money we are spending in comparison to the amount of people joining is not in balance.

Spot on the horizon is the yearly evaluation of the association's capacity regarding possible attendees and finances. What is viable and to what extent do we want to use our trips to profile ourselves?

Kim: Are there any questions regarding activities and trips?

Iris V: Did you also look at the relative attendance? Percentages about what is now and what it used to be.

Kim: No we have not. It is true that there is a hard core and maybe the attendance within the hard core is relatively high. However, the fact that there are 3 members joining besides the board, it is very demotivating.

Iris V: If there are maybe only 50 active members and there are 5 people coming, that's 10%. Maybe in the past there would be 80 active members and there would be 10 people coming it would seem as if it's now half but in reality, it's... I think you get my point.

Kim: Yeah and this is also a part for member bonding because if we have an active core of about 50 people and only 5 show up so 10%, that means there is still 90% of the hard core that did not show up so I think that is something to look at.

Iris V: Yeah I agree.

Aiso: What do you mean exactly with the expression spot on the horizon because the way I understand this expression doesn't follow the way it is used here.

Kim: A spot on the horizon is something we can travel towards. We wanted to not just identify problems because that would be a very depressing document. We wanted to give a spot on the horizon towards future boards could work. As voted in during our policy GMA, we wanted a document that would present single board years and I think the spot on the horizon is the name we chose for that.

Aiso: So the spot you are working towards is a re-evaluation which is different from just identifying the problem, I don't see how that differs from each other.

Els: I think the spot on the horizon offers part of how to come to a solution to it. So we've identified the problem and we've identified part of how you can come to a conclusion or a solution to fix the problem.

Kim: And of course in addition to that, an evaluation will have a certain outcome so if we evaluate that our current program of talks is not working, then it automatically implies that our spot on the horizon is working towards what would work.

Kim: Then there is now time for the more general questions, does anybody have a general question?

Jaleesa: Could you tell us a bit more about what comes next after this plan?

Kim: On the election GMA we will present a document that contains deadlines of when plans need to be written. In this list, certain evaluation moments are added so we can evaluate yearly if the spot on the horizon is still what we want to work towards.

Anouk: Is this yearly evaluation done by the GMA or the sitting board?

Kim: I think it is hosted by the sitting board but done by the GMA. Do you agree?

Anouk: Depends on the size of the decision but it makes sense that it is always part of the policy of the board so yes.

Kim: If there are no further questions, I would like to move on to the voting. Please fill in the poll on the screen. For those who are authorized, there will be a second round in which you can cast your votes. If you are NOT authorized, please don't vote twice.

The cast votes are as follows:

- Pro 22
- Against 1
- Abstain 2

Kim: Then hereby the strategic plan is accepted.

HAMMERSTRIKE

Kim: I would like to announce another break, and will see you back at 21:00.

12. Break

21:30-21:40

Kim: Thank you all for coming back and sticking with us, I would like to reopen the GMA at 21:00.

HAMMERSTRIKE

I would now like to move on to the part of the evening with numbers, namely the Financial half-year report.

HAMMERSTRIKE

13. Financial Half Year Report

21:40-23:10

Kim: For this I obviously give the floor to our wonderful treasurer, Marjolijn!

Marjolijn:

Let's start with our assets.

We are nearing the end of our transition from our ING payment account, to our Triodos payment account. The only thing that has not yet been established with Triodos is a collections contract, which is why our ING account still contains money.

Thus, our Triodos payment account is now used for all transactions, except collections from members.

Moving on to our ASN savings account: At the beginning of the year, €6.000 was withdrawn from our savings account to pay for our September camp accommodation, groceries and a few other expenses. I expect to transfer money back to our savings account before the end of the year.

No cash has been spent yet, all transactions thus far have been made by debit- or credit card.

Debtors have dropped since the year GMA because we have received some outstanding amounts.

The prepaid amounts have not changed, except for the fact that the prepaid amount for Septembercamp 2021-2022 has been used, but we've booked the same accommodation, and thus paid the same amount in advance for Septembercamp 2023-2024, making the total amount the same as before.

Stock value of merchandise has reduced, since merchandise was sold. New merchandise, the christmas ornaments, was also added to the stock value.

The assets total €37.525,95

No questions

Then we move on to liabilities.

The equity has reduced at a normal rate since the beginning of the year.

The only reserve that has changed so far is the IT reserve, from which money was drawn to pay for our new camera. The rest of the reserves have stayed the same. Money from the Lustrum reserve and budget reserve will be drawn later.

One creditor has been paid, resulting in a slight reduction.

The provisions have either been used or transferred, resulting in a current amount of zero, which will be elaborated on later.

The precollected amounts used to consist only of the subsidy from the municipality of Utrecht for our programme of talks in 2020-2021. We have now received this subsidy, making the precollected amounts zero.

The liabilities total €37.525,95

Eefje: I had a question about the conference reverse. Seeing that there is none planned in the future, are there any plans to move this money somewhere else?

Marjolijn: We don't really want to plan out other board years but we could look at that at the Year GMA if we can better distribute this money.

Then we move on to income.

The member contribution has not yet been collected. Due to a reduced number of new members, we have decided to reduce the expected amount of member contribution to €8.600.

The alumni contribution has not yet been collected either, although one alumnus has already transferred their contribution at the beginning of the year. The expected amount of alumni contribution has not changed.

The annual grant from the University of applied sciences has been received. We expect the remaining amount of €2.600 from Utrecht University later this year.

SIB-Utrecht will not receive a sponsorship contribution from CIMsolutions this year. The expected contribution from Instituto Cervantes remains the same.

This year, money from two reserves will be used; the lustrum reserve, from which money will be transferred when larger purchases for our lustrum year have to be made. And the budget reserve, which tops off the grants from the UU and HU to €5.000 this year.

Donations have not been collected yet, but the expected amount remains the same.

The incidental sponsors were expected to be €1.000 at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately, we have not had much success thus far at finding incidental sponsors, which is why the expected amount is reduced with €400.

The unforeseen income currently consists of transferred provisions, which will be discussed in more detail later, a transferred creditor, and two transferred debtors.

The current income totals €2.450,05 and the expected income totals €21.908,39

Anouk: Why is CimSolutions still in the table then?

Marjolijn: To make a good comparison with last years but next year it will be removed.

Next up is the expenditure.

The board training is taking place very soon and will be provided by a previous board member. Therefore, the budget has been reduced slightly because we expect to only buy a thank-you gift.

The full budget for our constitutional drinks has been used, no extra expenses are expected. The expected budget for IT and electronics remains the same.

Very few printing costs have been made thus far, mainly due to a sustainability policy, and because the brief period of online activities did not require printing anything.

The expected budget for representation and board costs has not changed.

The budget for our board office has been reduced, because no large expenses for the board office are expected for the rest of the year.

The expected budget for the secretariat has not been changed.

The expected budget for the SumUp card reader has been increased, because more transactions with the card reader are expected the rest of the year, and the costs for transactions on our webshop now also fall under this post.

No costs have been made yet for the inaugural GMA, because it has not taken place yet.

No board committee trainings have taken place yet. Because board committee training often happens through a promotional deal with a training company, or a training is given by a previous member or board member, the expected budget remains at €25.

Then the committee support.

The activities committee had a budget of €550 at the beginning of this year. Some more expensive activities are expected the coming year, but reducing the budget to €450 is more realistic.

Thus far, thank you gifts for two project committees have been bought. The rest of the budget is expected to be spent.

The expected budget for Committeeshirts was set at €500 at the beginning of the year, but due to the prices for printing a t-shirt increasing and more committees wanting a shirt, we have decided to increase the expected budget to €650.

The budget of the Film Committee has decreased slightly, due to us not expecting any film talks in the Louis Hartlooper complex this year.

There will be no grand voyage this year.

The Internal Affairs Committee has organised the Jeu de Boules activity and is expected to organise a cantus this year.

The External affairs committee has budget to organise alternative tuesday evenings this year. Thus far, no money has been spent, which is why the expected budget is reduced.

The cooking committee will organise a few more activities this year, which is why the expected budget remains the same.

The party committee budget has not been altered, as they are still expected to organise some activities this year.

The Fall Introduction Trip seems to have gone way over budget, but we still expect money from the Gravensteen castle, and the collections for member contribution still have to be made.

The Massively Exciting Mid-year Excursion is expected to happen in April, thus no expenses have been made yet.

The Lovely Introduction Trip is expected to take place in April, thus no expenses have been made yet.

The promotion committee seems to not have made any expenses yet, as these have not been declared yet. More expenses for promotion are expected in the coming year with the promotion of several events that are taking place.

The organised september camp last year has stayed within budget and no further expenses are expected.

We have arranged a new contract with BladNL for fewer physical copies. which is why the expected budget we had set at the beginning of the year is still accurate.

The expected budget for the Simulation has increased, because we currently do not have a member studying at the UCU campus, who would be able to arrange a location for the Simulation free of charge. Therefore, the €100 extra is to help with potential location costs.

The Symposium is expected to happen in June, no changes have been made to the expected budget.

The budget for the Utrecht Introduction Time has not chan

uitbreiden

Fayrouz: Why do we not have any more film talks at the Louis Hartlooper Complex this year?

Iris: I tried to reconnect but this has not been successful yet. They told us they wanted to wait until covid was over. They didn't want to discuss that before all restrictions were gone.

uitbreiden

Kim: Are there any questions?

uitbreiden

Kim: If there are no further questions I would like to move on to voting. Please fill in the poll on the screen. For those who are authorized, there will be a second round in which you can cast your votes. If you are NOT authorized, please don't vote twice.

The cast votes are as follows:

- Pro 15
- Against 3
- Abstain 4

Kim: Then hereby, the financial half year report, and the new budget, are accepted!

HAMMERSTRIKE

Kim: Then I would like to move on to the next part of this evening, the Board round

HAMMERSTRIKE

14. Board round

23:10-23:20

Kim: All of the board members will now shortly tell you about their activities in the past few months, and I will kick this off!

Kim: In the previous months I have kept myself busy with writing the documents as they have been presented to you this fine evening. In addition to this I have kept contact with the pnyx committee, FISA, SIB-NL, and Uglobe, both online and in person. We have started focusing on our successors, and I have been trying to navigate everyone's winterdip. I have

also written the second thesis of my bachelor, which so kindly reminded me that I would much rather work with these four girls than any other person ever again. Any questions?

Fayrouz: How are you combining writing your thesis and board work?

Kim: Part of it is my stubbornness, the fact that I convince myself I can do all those things at once. In addition to that, the four other board members have so kindly supported me when things all went to shit and I was able to take a week off from the board so that was very nice.

Dana: I am keeping myself busy with eSIBs and activity promotion ofcourse but have also worked on the lustrum shirt together with the promotion committee and the website with the IT committee. The website has received more cool features in the past year and now we are working on a nicer design. I have also helped the symposium committee with promotion, more on the background now that it is postponed and I have set up the UIT committee. Personally, I have had a lot of driving lessons in the meantime and I will soon have a theory exam which means I have to study for a test again for the first time since the start of corona #sendhelp. Are there any questions?

Anouk: The website is beautiful, I love the new photo, it looks way more modern so great job on that. I was wondering if maybe the deregistration button can be less visible, it feels kind of awkward to have that in the top row of options.

Dana: That is a fair point, I will consider that in the next IT meeting.

Marjolijn: Over the past few months I have been keeping busy with normal treasurer business; bookkeeping, bank issues, paying for activities, making collections, etc. Besides that, I have been working with the Acquisition Committee to write the project plan for the subsidies for next year's programme of talks and we've been dabbling in finding some new incidental sponsors for SIB. I also decided to join the UIT committee, to support them in optimising our UIT programme to, hopefully, get some new SIB members. Oh, and I got a new fish!
Are there any questions?

Fayrouz: In the beginning, the auditing committee had quite a few comments on the communication with you and maybe the rest of the board. I was wondering how you plan to improve this in the future?

Marjolijn: That was completely my fault, I wasn't good with communicating and I was too late with pointing out issues but we now have planned a meeting with the committee, Kim, and I to work through these issues and see how we could do better.

Els: I've been busy with organising activities under ever-changing circumstances surrounding corona, but am very happy that things are returning to normal. Specifically, I've been focussed on organising the Diesweek with the rest of my board, which specifically includes the IC cantus and the dies party. Other than that I have been supporting our committees, setting up the Gala Committee and the Septembercamp Committee, as well as filling up other committees, and working on the documents we've presented to you tonight. In my personal life, I've started a course at university again, which means I will soon be able to answer all your questions in German, and I have discovered dance workouts to High School Musical medleys. Are there any questions?

Anouk: I wanted to give you a compliment for how you reach out to society captains. I found it very stimulating that you send e-mails.

Els: Thank you, I'm glad it works.

Iris: I've been busy with making the programme of talks together with the EAC, we are trying to set up some new cool twists, which is fun to do. I've also been supporting the symposium committee in order to prepare for the symposium that will now take place on June 11th. In my personal life I've tried to combine SIB with my other friend groups and roommates. I'm very happy that I can have a drink at the bar with them again. I'm also planning to start going to the gym again in the coming weeks to compensate for all the bears. Besides I'm of course very busy being a good mother for my hamster and baby goat. Are there any questions?

Kim: What is the Instagram of your hamster?

Iris: If you want to follow my hamster, he's very cute, you can look for chubbyhamsterchubby. He will be very happy with new followers.

Eefje: And what about Hakim?

Iris: Hakim doesn't have his own instagram but I am seeing him this weekend so I am looking forward to that.

Kim: I would like to see a picture in the core app.

Iris: I can do that.

Kim: Then I would like to start heading towards the end of the evening, starting with Any Other business.

HAMMERSTRIKE

15. Any other Business

23:20-23:25

Kim: Has any other business come up? Nope

Kim: Then moving on to the question round

HAMMERSTRIKE

16. Question round

23:25-23:30

Kim: The GMA now has the opportunity to raise their virtual hand to pose a question. If there are multiple hands, I will invite you to take the floor one by one. Are there any among us who would like to speak?

Martin: I have a compliment specifically for the strategic plan. I think it is very needed and you did a great job.

Anouk: And you're doing a very good job in general.

Sander: Speaking in regards of the UITweek committee, [promopraatje voor UIT wellou dat ik dit ga notuleren, heb geen zin meer, shoutout if you read this far]

Jeljer: I also have a promotional talk. We have a lustrum cantus and party on March 18th.

Kim: Then we move on to the final point of today, closing

HAMMERSTRIKE

17. Closing

23:30-23:30

Kim: Thank you all so much for being here today and for thinking along with us. It has been a long night, and we appreciate you still being here. Without further ado, I hereby close the General Members Assembly of February 16th at 21:40.

HAMMERSTRIKE

Kim: Once again, thank you for being here. For those who will go ice skating with us tomorrow; until tomorrow and the rest: until a later time!